At NexGen Surgical, we strongly believe surgeons deserve happiness. After spending so much time, energy and money on medical education and working hard to meet the needs of patients, surgeons should feel fulfilled in every aspect of their lives. When this is not the case, it may be time to consider a job change. As experts in helping surgeons find careers that support healthier work-life balances, we are pleased to share some valuable tips on making a career change as a surgeon.
Make a Real Change, Not Just a Transition
When a surgeon is considering a career change, it is essential to determine if the change will actually achieve lifestyle goals. Many times, a surgeon transitions to a new practice only to find themself in a similar situation as their previous one. Keep in mind that the most significant contributors to burnout tend to be an overload of bureaucratic tasks, lack of respect from colleagues and spending too many hours at work. Take time to determine if these issues would be factors in a new position before taking it.
Ask Yourself Why You Want to Change Jobs
We know what a huge decision it is for a surgeon to change jobs. Sometimes, changing a job is a no-brainer; other times, it is a highly stressful experience. The top reasons why surgeons change jobs generally involve:
- The desire or need for more money
- The longing for a better work environment or better working hours
- Being overwhelmed or exhausted
- The desire or need to live in a new geographic area
- The desire for a lengthened career.
These are all practical reasons to seek a new position. Prioritize your goals for your new job and determine which ones are non-negotiable.
Considerations for Switching Groups or Hospitals
When considering a new employment opportunity as a surgeon, there are several considerations and questions to ask:
- How long do you want to work? Are you looking to retire in three, five or ten years? Find a hospital, group or employment arrangement that will accommodate this.
- What is the work culture like at the location you are considering? Have other physicians developed fruitful relationships or tense relationships? Are the administrative and support staff efficient, professional and cooperative?
- Does the geographic location of the opportunity suit your needs and desires? Are there safe neighborhoods and desirable housing options? Are there stores you like and restaurants to frequent? Is there a local sports team to cheer on or museums to visit?
- Does the schedule match your unique lifestyle needs? Will you have ample time off? Is call required?
Considerations for Joining NexGen Surgical
Physicians looking to extend their careers or enjoy a slower pace of life are excellent candidates for joining the NexGen Surgical team. Our surgeons work two weeks per month and enjoy no call during their time off. This means our surgeons do not have to live in the area in which they work. Your position with us is also built around your unique desires and scheduling requirements. Physicians who join NexGen earn better compensation than they did in their previous practice while providing a lifeline to patients in rural communities. Our staff handles the staffing, billing, payroll, enrollment, negotiation and other needs of your practice so that you can focus on practicing medicine.
If a career change to NexGen sounds appealing, our recruiters are ready to discuss opportunities with you. Call us at 844.592.0802 to start building the career opportunity you want.